If you want your Nespresso machine to last longer and create the best-tasting coffee, you have to know how to keep it clean. Nevertheless, cleaning or descaling your machine is not instinctive.
You do not need to worry because we have come up with a guide for you to do it yourself. Even if you have had your Nespresso recently or for a long time, you would want to read this.
1. Descaling Defined
It means to remove the mineral deposits formed by chemicals in water from your Nespresso machine. These mineral deposits or limescale are rough and hard. Imagine touching the hard exterior covering or scales of a reptile.
Because these build-ups form in water, they are inevitable in making coffee. Tap water contains certain minerals that react when water is heated. It results in the hardening of the minerals. They become extremely rough and hard when the water temperature goes down. It is highly unlikely that these can be removed with the use of strong chemicals.
Soon, the sizes of the limescale will increase and could affect the function of your machine. There is also a possibility of causing a blockage.
2. Frequency of Descaling a Nespresso Machine
Approximately, every 3 months is the recommendation of Nespresso on how frequently you should descale your machine. Nevertheless, if you use it often or daily, you want to make sure that it produces the best brew. For this, it is recommended to clean it after every 300 capsules. Some machines have a light that blinks to alert you that you need to descale the machine.
The entire descaling process of your machine should not take more than 20 minutes.
3. Things You Need to Descale Your Nespresso Machine
As mentioned, descaling is not intuitive. Therefore, you need to prepare or buy some products to do the process correctly.
- A descaler to get rid of the deposits
- Clean water to rinse
- A cleaning capsule to clean the unit
You can purchase a kit that has a descaler and a cleaning capsule. You can also purchase a dedicated descaler or a universal descaler for other brands of machines.
There are many cleaning choices for your Nespresso machine, so you do not have any excuse not to do it.
4. Do’s and Don’ts in Descaling
You need to keep in mind these reminders before you start descaling your beloved coffee machine:
- DO descale your machine regularly regardless if you have a U-machine, Latttissima, Inissia, Pixie, or Citi.
- DO confirm that the descaling product you are going to use is made especially for Nespresso. If not, it might affect the taste of your favorite brew in a bad way.
- DO figure out how to change your Nespresso machine’s setting to the descaling program. Read below to learn how.
- DO spare a couple of minutes (around 20 minutes) to complete the descaling.
- DON’T forget to clean out all the capsules from your Nespresso’s tray and slot.
- DON’T forget to wash your machine thoroughly under fresh and clean water to remove all the remnants of the descaling product,
- DON’T buy a descaling product with strong chemicals.
5. Ways to Activate the Descaling Program on Various Nespresso Machines
- For Citiz, press both buttons down for 3 seconds until the lights blink in short intervals,
- For U-machine, close the sliding door first. Then, press all the 3 buttons at the same time until you hear a beep. Opening the sliding door, press the buttons down again for about 3 seconds or until the buttons flash and the machine beeps. Shut the sliding door and set the program.
- For Pixie, press both buttons down for 3 seconds until they flash incessantly.
- For Lattissima, connect the hot water tap and the light lights up.
- For Inissia, it is the same as the process for Pixie.
6. Step-by-Step on Proper Descaling of Your Nespresso Machine
Whatever Nespresso machine you may have in your house, the steps are very much the same. Here are the steps on how to clean it.
- Turn on your Nespresso machine.
- Remove all the capsules in the tray and slot.
- Empty the contents of the drip tray.
- Using the descaling product, make a solution following the instructions from the chosen product’s label.
- Pour this solution into your Nespresso’s water tank and put the tank back into the machine.
- Beneath the coffee spout, place a bowl or container with a capacity of 1 liter.
- Set your machine to its descaling program, depending on the activation given above.
- To begin the cycle, press the appropriate button. For Pixie, Inissia, and Citiz machines, the Lungo button needs to be pressed. For Lattissima, press the button for milk foam, and for U-machine, you can press any button.
- Once the solution has run through your Nespresso, pour it into the water tank.
- Let the solution run through your machine two times.
- Throw the solution and fill the water tank with fresh clean water.
- Press the appropriate button to begin the rinsing cycle.
- When the water has run through, you can turn the descaling program off, the same way you turned it on.
After completing these steps, your Nespresso is as good as new.
If you are a coffee lover, you know the importance of getting your daily dose of caffeine in the morning or any time of the day. Your Nespresso machine saves you time and money from buying coffee in cafes.
Knowing how your Nespresso works and maintaining it through the steps given can keep your machine safe and efficient. You just need to do complete the steps for 20 minutes every 3 months. This ensures that your machine will always produce the best-tasting coffee and function at its best.